Extended-stay Travel insurance


If you’re going on holiday more than once, multi-trip might be cheaper. But if Australia’s your only trip abroad this year, a single-trip policy will cost you less.


Extended-stay insurance

If you’re planning on a long-term stint in Australia, extended-stay policies can offer cover for continuous trips of more than 31 days.

If you plan to work to fund your trip, get the right visa. The Australia Working Holiday (WHM) visa allows you a working holiday of up to 24 months if you’re aged 18-30.

Make sure your travel insurance offers a working trip and consider cash cover if you’re earning money in Australia.

Long-stay travel insurance covers you for trips lasting longer than a month – usually up to 18 months.

It’s perfect for backpacking, extended stays with friends or family, or if you just need to get away from the British winter.

Age limits and long-stay travel insurance

If you get ill or have an accident while on holiday, the medical cover part of your travel insurance will cover the costs of any treatment you need while abroad.

The cost of receiving treatment overseas can be eye-watering. It can easily run to tens of thousands of pounds if you’re hospitalised. That’s why it’s the most important part of any travel insurance policy.

To make a claim, you’ll have to pay an excess, which is the contribution you make towards the cost of a claim. Check how much the excess is on policies and choose one you can comfortably afford.

Declare all medical conditions

List all of your pre-existing medical conditions on your policy. Any medical treatment you need abroad won’t be covered if it’s related to an undisclosed condition.

Get enough medical cover

According to consumer group Which? you should look for policies with at least £2m medical cover for holidays in Europe and £5m for worldwide travel per person.

Take your EHIC to Europe

Make sure you take your European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) for travel in Europe. Some insurers won’t cover anything you could use your EHIC for instead.

Do some research

Check what the medical care in your destination is like and it could be handy to find out emergency contact numbers, nearest hospitals and what the transport links are like. Our destination guides might be able to help, or the FCDO has travel advice on over 220 countries.

Scroll to Top